Tuesday 6 September 2011

Our World Tuesday - Along a Country Road


 Just a short distance from Malton town centre, along Castle Howard Road you will find horses and ponies belonging to the Romany gypsies grazing the wide grassy verges.  They are tethered with long ropes so they can move around easily, and their owners visit them daily to replenish the large plastic buckets with water, and to move them to fresh grazing when necessary.


The horses and ponies seem to be quite friendly and are not in the least bit bothered by passing traffic.  Though it is a country road, it is a fairly busy one.
 I took some photo's of
plants and shrubs growing in the verges and hedgerows.

The hawthorn is full of bright red berries again this year, which some say means another hard winter.

There is a close up of part of an Ivy with clusters of green berries, I have not been able to identify what variety it is yet.

A close-up of a pretty purple thistle and some tiny white flowers, and a seed head of a form of Umbelliferae, which one I do not know.



 
 














For photo's from other Our World Tuesday contributors, visit


11 comments:

Arija said...

Love the little Romney horses, they are such sturdy animals. Grazing them on the verges serves the double purpose of keeping the grass down and feeding them. Great photos.

Thank you for showing them on Our World and have a happy day!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

This is my first visit, and it is wonderful to peruse your recent posts about Malton! I'm on the other side of the world but visited England two summers ago and would love to return someday. I so enjoyed what you have shared here and will return to read more.

Stewart M said...

Hi there - very nice road-side pictures. Like the horse (pony?) with the pale stripe!

Reminds me of Appleby Horse Fair - would love to be able to do a post on that - but it's a bit far away.

Also, all the hedgerow flowers remind me of an evening walk we used to do when we lived in the Lakes - flowers, flowers and more flowers - but best of all (in the proper season), blackberries, strawberries, gooseberries, raspberries, apples and sloes! Mostly the remains of long gone cottage gardens I assume - but it made the walk a great way to get dessert after dinner!

Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

NatureFootstep said...

you found a lot of nice horses along that road. :)

Carver said...

I love these shots along the country road. That's good that the horses and ponies can munch and ignore cars.

Joyful said...

Love your header Jackie and your photos. Thank you for your recent visit to my blog and your kind comment ;-)

LindyLouMac said...

An enjoyable stroll.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

This is so neat ... I can't help but think of how trusting the owners are that the horses and ponies will be so safe from harm or from being stolen.

Kathy M.

Cildemer said...

Very nice shots of the ponies and horses and plants!
Love them all!
Thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment;o)

***
Have a nice and happy week****

ps: I answered your comment in my blog. Thanks again;o)

forgetmenot said...

I'm a horse lover!!! Such pretty berries and wild flower pics too. You have some lovely "countryside" to roam around and find some of nature's treasures. Thanks for coming by my blog. Mickie ;)

magda in queensland australia said...

Hello Jackie,
Choosing where to leave you a note when the note is not about the Post.... this Post felt quite right... and when I read... Romany Gypsies... mmm, definitely a nice choice.

I have wandered about your Clouds... that was wonderful, I also love Clouds... and came to Visit here also.

It is simply wonderful experiencing a personal tour of another place on this wonderful Earth. Have enjoyed my time here and with your Clouds.

Thank you... but... the reason also for this note... absolutely adore your Cat gadget further down. I got rather intrigued with it, and my Hen and Gander responded to the Meowing and Purring, sounded just like our Tiffany.

Thanks for a lovely time...
Best wishes from Magda and Family in Australia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...